Sunday, January 18, 2009

Corn Chowda? What do you think I am, a Yankee??

This recipe comes from one of two cookbooks that "Santa" brought me and Adam for Christmas 2006.  I guess Santa was watching when I found them in the store and showed them to Adam, telling him how cute they were...  Adam asked me to make this one especially.  I must admit, its pretty good.  (Though I haven't compared it with any recipes from my new Yankee cookbook yet.)

2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth
1 bag (16 oz) frozen corn kernels
3 small potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 rib celery, sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled

Place broth, corn, potatoes, bell pepper, onion, celery, salt, black pepper and coriander into slow cooker.  Cover; cook on LOW 7 to 8 hours.  Partially  mash soup mixture with potato masher to thicken.  Stir in cream; cook on HIGH, uncovered, until hot.  Adjust seasonings, if desired.  Garnish with bacon.

No comments: